We are excited to begin our search to add an Intermediate Accountant to our Accounting team. Reporting to the Controller, the Intermediate Accountant will join a talented team of CPA’s and clerks to ensure the financial organization and smooth operation of Canada’s largest work truck company.
The successful candidate will ideally be working towards their CPA designation, have earned a degree in accounting, and have two or more years of experience in a junior or introductory finance role. CPA’s at Commercial Truck Equipment are available to serve as a Mentor for the successful candidate to facilitate completion of the CPA PEP, and this role will have adequate exposure to the accounting areas necessary to ensure completion of the PER portion of the CPA program.
Commercial’s finance department is a lean team anchored out of our Surrey office, and centrally support all seven Canadian branch locations. The successful candidate will be comfortable managing a broad portfolio of responsibilities, and able to quickly pivot, adapt, troubleshoot, and learn on the fly.
Commercial Truck Equipment is Canada’s largest, most stable, and most diversified company serving the work truck, utility, and emergency equipment industry. In business since 1947, Commercial has 300+ employees, seven branches coast-to-coast, and $200M+ in annual sales, providing unmatched job security and a comprehensive list of employee benefits. More than 30% of our team are long-tenured employees with over 15 years of service; evidence of strong employee/employer relationships, effective teamwork, and the benefit of an open-door policy. As Commercial continues to grow and diversify, we are looking for qualified and committed people to join our team.
Employee benefits include competitive compensation, flexible work hours for office staff, company-sponsored matching RRSP plan, excellent employee medical and dental benefits, life insurance, long & short-term disability, purchase discount program, profit sharing, as well as the opportunity for exceptional career growth.
- Prepare monthly inventory reconciliations and schedules
- Assist with the preparation of month-end and year-end financial statements
- Reconcile monthly bank accounts
- Record journal entries, maintain general ledgers and subledgers
- Assist in the preparation of government filings (GST, PST, WCB, EHT)
- Enter day-to-day accounting transactions
- Oversee and assist with Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable
- Perform other ad-hoc tasks as required
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Current enrolment in the CPA PEP program is considered an asset
- 2+ years of progressive accounting experience
- Strong aptitude for financial systems, prior experience with ERP software is an asset
- Thorough knowledge of Outlook, Word, Excel, and O365 is required
- High volume transaction entry skills
- Basic mechanical, automotive, and/or heavy equipment knowledge is not required but is considered an asset.
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Time management and organizational skills
- Willingness to learn and continue growing
Application and Timeline
We have an immediate need for an employee in this role, and applications are reviewed as received. Those interested are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, and before February 6 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time. We thank all candidates for their interest, but only candidates currently legally permitted to work in Canada will be considered. No relocation or visa sponsorship support will be offered for this role. Preference will be given to candidates currently residing in the Lower Mainland. To apply, send a resume in PDF format to Shiva Dayal, Controller.
Commercial Truck Equipment maintains an inclusive and discrimination-free hiring process, as well as compliance with the B.C. Human Rights Code, Canadian Human Rights Act, and the Employment Equity Act.