Commercial Truck Equipment is looking to add a Full-Time Permanent Automotive Designer to our engineering team. With continued growth, we need another detail-oriented individual to carry out the vital work that goes into preparing to have vehicles built and assembled.
Automotive designers prepare plans, solve design problems, build bills of material, and help our fabricators and assembly staff when they run into snags. An individual with strong knowledge around steel and aluminum manufacturing, hydraulics, 12V electrical systems, and general automotive/mechanical knowledge would be a great fit. Applicants must have experience and basic proficiency with both AutoCAD and Solidworks.
Commercial Truck Equipment is Canada’s largest, most stable, and most diversified company serving the work truck, utility, and the emergency equipment industry. In business since 1947, Commercial provides unmatched job security and a comprehensive list of employee benefits. More than 30% of our team are long-tenured employees with over 15 years of service; evidence of strong employee/employer relationships, effective teamwork, and the benefit of an open-door policy. As Commercial continues to grow and diversify, we are looking for qualified and committed people to join our team.
Employee benefits include competitive compensation, four-day workweeks for shop staff, flexible work hours for office staff, company-sponsored matching RRSP plan, employee excellent medical and dental benefits, life insurance, long & short term disability, purchase discount program, profit sharing, boot allowances, as well as the opportunity for exceptional career growth.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepare detailed fabrication and assembly drawings for truck equipment installs
- Assemble complete build packages for in-house production team
- Use available resources to find solutions to design problems
- Ensure design complies with all relevant regulations
- Prepare detailed bill of materials
- Provide technical support for shop personnel
Qualifications and Experience
The successful applicant will have a mix of the following qualifications and experience. Commercial is looking for someone with strong mechanical aptitude and the knowledge to hit the ground running but will consider candidates from all backgrounds and industries.
- Experience in designing and manufacturing heavy equipment
- Understanding of sheet metal forming and assembly
- Understanding of structural steel assembly
- Understanding of welding
- Experience with 12v electrical systems and hydraulic systems is considered an asset
- Experience with any of the following equipment is considered an asset: cranes, utility equipment, snowplows, tow trucks, dump trucks, flat-decks, high rail equipment.
Skills and Attributes
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and Solidworks is required
- Strong verbal and written communications skills in English
- Punctual and dependable
- Well organized and detail-oriented
- Able to work effectively with other team members
- Independent; ability to work under minimal supervision
- Able to work on multiple projects at once in a fast-paced environment
- Capable of prioritizing multiple tasks daily
- Strong time management skills
- Comfortable interacting on a shop floor environment
- Ability to follow in-house design standards
- Ability to follow and apply industry standards and regulations
Timeline and Application
We have an urgent need for an employee in this role. Applications are reviewed as received and those interested are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, and before Dec 10 at 5PM Pacific Time. We thank international candidates for their interest, but only candidates legally permitted to work in Canada will be considered.
Applicants should email a resume and cover letter in PDF format to Darragh Geoghegan at DGeoghegan@comtruck.ca with the subject line “Automotive Designer Application.”
Commercial Truck Equipment maintains an inclusive and discrimination-free hiring process, as well as compliance with the B.C. Human Rights Code, Canadian Human Rights Act, and the Employment Equity Act.